Vacation season is upon us. We are packing our cars with everything but the kitchen sink and getting the heck out of dodge! And while we remember to pack lots of healthy snacks, they eventually run out, we get hangry and find ourselves in search of any scrap of food. And while I always recommend bringing your own, the reality is that it is seriously not always possible. This means you may find yourself in the drive thru lane staring down a menu of greasy, high calorie food.
Now take a breath…You’ve worked too hard to let it all go on a #1 combo! So before you order, take a look at my top fast food picks to keep you fitting in your jean shorts long after your summer vacation.
1) Spinach, Feta and Egg White Wrap- 290 cal, 10g fat, 19 grams protein. This is a great on the go option. It’s filling and portable and tasty. Plus it gives you an excuse to grab an Americano on the side not that we ever need an excuse for a Starbucks run.
2) Protein Bistro Box- 360 calories, 15 grams protein Hard boiled eggs, fruit, cheese, pita and peanut butter all in one convenient little package. Although it is filled with yummy snack style food, make no mistake this is a meal all on its own.
3) Strawberry Banana Smoothie – 290 calories, 16 grams of protein. Sometimes you’ve got to literally grab and go. A fruity smoothie tastes great and boosts your energy when you’re on the run.
1) Harvest Salad with Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Dressing- 470 calories (with dressing but using less can reduce this) 25g protein. The kids can have their happy meals and you can keep your waistline happy with this hearty salad.
2) The 12 Grilled Chicken Sandwich- 400 calories, and 30 grams of protein. Add a side salad instead of fries to keep your feeling fuller longer. Make it a bit healthier by eating only half the bun.
3) Fruit and Yogurt Parfait- 200 calories, 6 grams of protein- When everyone else is ordering sausage mcmuffins, stick with one of these babies and a cup of joe to get your day started instead.
1) Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad- 450 calories, 40 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber. This salad eats like a meal and packs a powerful punch of protein. If you need something a bit lighter still, try it in the half size portion.
2) Ultimate Chicken Grill- 340 calories, 32 grams protein. Add a side salad instead of fries to add a few veggies and fiber into the mix. Make it a bit healthier by tossing half the bun.
3) Small Chili- 170 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 15g of protein. Sometimes you need something a bit heartier to fill you up. A small chili will do just that. Enjoy with a side salad instead of fries and then hit the road.
1) Greek Yogurt Parfait- 270 Calories, 5g fat, 13 g protein- Greek yogurt and fruit topped with almond granola provide energy boosting protein and a little sweet crunch to keep you away from the cookie counter.
2) Ham and Swiss Sandwich- 440 calories, 3 g fiber, 25 grams of protein (regular sized). The classic ham and cheese sandwich on a whole wheat bun is one of the better choices at Tim Horton’s. Just be sure to avoid the donut or kettle chips on the side.
3) Chili (regular sized) -290 calories, 5g fiber, 18grams of protein. Pair this rich and meaty bowl with a side garden salad for a complete meal.
To receive more fitness and nutrition tips from My Fit Coach, subscribe to our mailing list here.